Friday, June 7, 2024

Warblers for the first week of June

 

Worm eating Warbler, Mount Holyoke Range SP, Granby, MA, Jun 7, 2024
Blue winged Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, Jun 5, 2024
Prairie Warbler, Covey WMA, Belchertown, MA, Jun 3, 2024
Chestnut sided Warbler, BBS stop #34, Monson, MA, Jun 2, 2024
Black and White Warbler, Rail trail, Amherst, MA, Jun 1, 2024
Black and White Warbler, Rail trail, Amherst, MA, Jun 1, 2024
American Redstart, Quabbin Park, MA, Jun 1, 2024

During the first week of June I have found a number of warblers as migration of warblers through the area rapidly comes to an end and the remaining species get down to breeding for the season.  During the first week I had 21 species overall.  On the first I went out in search of a few continuing rarities and had some luck with the continued Prothonotary Warbler that first showed up on May 18th.  During my stop on the first the bird was singing its distinctive two part song very distantly and I never had any luck with it coming in any closer.  To be honest I'm surprised it has stayed around as long as it has in its vain search for a mate.  I also tried to relocate the Hooded Warbler in Ludlow to start the month but had no luck with it.  The rest of the week when I was not back at work I visited a variety of locations  with loads of breeding activity noted.  I ended the week with a walk at the Mount Holyoke Range SP with the focus being on Worm eating Warblers.  Although I was still aching a bit I managed to navigate some steep trails without too much trouble.

Brewster's Warbler, Rail trail, Amherst, MA, Jun 5, 2024
Brewster's Warbler, Rail trail, Amherst, MA, Jun 5, 2024
Blue winged x Golden winged Warbler hybrid, Rail trail, Amherst, MA, Jun 1, 2024

The multiple Blue winged x Golden winged Warbler hybrids continue along the rail trail in Amherst as well as quite a few Blue winged Warblers that sing a variety of songs.  Oddly all of the hybrids sing typical Blue winged Warbler songs which is why it is important to always try to track down each bird to see what species is actually singing.

Cerulean Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, Jun 5, 2024
Cerulean Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, Jun 5, 2024
Cerulean Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, Jun 1, 2024

The Cerulean Warblers continue to be seen and heard at Quabbin Park with at least two (possibly three) singing males present since the early part of May with one singing a Northern Parula song.  I have been keeping close tabs on them in the hopes of confirming breeding again in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment