Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Hooded Warblers in Sunderland

Hooded Warbler, Sunderland, MA, Jun 18, 2024
Hooded Warbler, Sunderland, MA, Jun 18, 2024
Hooded Warbler, Sunderland, MA, Jun 18, 2024

After making a couple stops in the morning including one at Winsor Dam that turned out to be my 50,000th complete eBird list ever, I had to run come errands in Amherst and decided to check out the pair of Hooded Warblers in Sunderland that were initially found on Sunday.  I normally don't venture out of Hampshire County but I will make an exception for warblers on occasion.  I arrived in the area a little before seven and after just a short time of waiting I heard the male singing.  Trying to get recordings was a bit tough due to the road noise from nearby Route 47 but with some effort I got some.  The male would singing for a few minutes and then go silent for several minutes and then start singing again.  It continued this pattern during the entire hour I was there.  Trying to get looks at it was tough due to the dense vegetation and the high level of activity of the bird.  Getting photos was even tougher and I had to be content with distant shots in bad light.  The female was even more elusive and I had just brief looks at her a couple times as the male chased her around down fairly low and I never got a picture of her.  It will be interesting to see if the pair stick around in the location to breed.

No comments:

Post a Comment