Sunday, May 21, 2023

Lots of warblers to close out the third week of May

Wilson's Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, May 18, 2023
Northern Parula, Quabbin Park, MA, May 18, 2023
Magnolia Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, May 18, 2023
American Redstart building nest, Quabbin Park, MA, May 18, 2023
Blue winged Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, May 18, 2023
Ovenbird, Quabbin Park, MA, May 18, 2023
Northern Waterthrush, Quabbin Park, MA, May 18, 2023
Bay breasted Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, May 18, 2023
Blue winged x Golden winged Warbler hybrid, Ware, MA, May 18, 2023

I have had a few more really good day for warblers with each day producing some great counts once again.  Thursday was a record setting cold morning that started off around 28 degrees.  I began my day along the rail trail in Ware and had 15 species there plus another Blue winged x Golden winged hybrid.  I then spent a couple hours in Quabbin Park which was very productive with some fantastic looks at a number of species.  I didn't have the time to make it to a few other spots that would normally produce more species so my total was a bit lower than other days.  However the quality of some of the views made up for a lower species total.

Mourning Warbler, Mitch's Way, Hadley, MA, May 19, 2023
American Redstart, Mount Holyoke Range SP, Hadley, MA, May 19, 2023
Cerulean Warbler, Skinner SP, Hadley, MA, May 19, 2023
Lawrence's Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, May 19, 2023

Friday I wanted to try my luck with catching up with a number of Mourning Warblers and with that in mind I went to Mitch's Way and had an impressive four separate individuals singing and I got recordings of all of them.  Three turned out to be from the eastern regiolect and one from the Newfoundland regiolect.  With a good start to the morning with 17 species I then hiked up Skinner SP, then on to some other trails nearby and finally over to the rail trail in Amherst before going toward home where I made my way to Quabbin Park and relocated the Lawrence's Warbler I originally found on the 12th and then failed to find again on subsequent visits.  Although Quabbin Park was looking productive I got a text that a Hooded Warbler was singing at Mitch's Way so I decided to head back over there once again and by the time arrived the bird had stopped singing.  I waited for a bit with no luck.  I was almost home and saw a report of a possible Golden winged Warbler at Quabbin Park.  The description of the area where it was heard sounded like it might have been an oddly singing Blue winged Warbler I had previously.  I arrived and quickly confirmed it was the same bird and not a Golden winged unfortunately.  Without finding the Hooded Warbler I ended the day with 27 species

American Redstart building nest, Mitch's Way, Hadley, MA, May 20, 2023
Chestnut sided Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, May 20, 2023
Lawrence's Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, May 20, 2023
Blue winged x Golden winged Warbler hybrid, Quabbin Park, MA, May 20, 2023

On Saturday the forecast called for rain by midday with drizzle before the heavier rain arrived so I decided initially to stay local and I started off the morning at Quabbin Park where I spent the next three hours and racked up a total of 22 species plus a few hybrids including the continued Lawrence's Warbler.  Mostly resident birds with lower numbers of obvious migrants.  As I was looking and listening to the Lawrence's Warbler I got a text saying the Hooded Warbler was continuing at Mitch's Way and singing constantly.  I initially was not going to go as I hate birding popular areas like there on weekends as it gets too busy.  After hearing it was not overcrowded with people I made the drive over and arrived there around 8:30 and walked in and had the Hooded Warbler singing repeatedly in a stretch of forest and despite my best efforts to see the bird I had no luck.  It was moving around a bit but the mainly leafed out trees made finding a warbler tough.  Eventually the bird went quiet again and after waiting awhile it never sang again.  I walked a bit more and turned up more warblers, including an impressive tally of singing Tennessee Warblers with at least seven present.  I then headed over to nearby Skinner SP and picked up more species.  I also made a brief stop along the rail trail to try to relocate the Brewster's Warbler again and yet again had no luck.  I then made my way back home to be with Wilson for a bit before the heavy rain arrived.  I ended the morning with 27 species plus hybrids...the big miss for the day was Cape May Warbler.

Mourning Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, May 21, 2023
Mourning Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, May 21, 2023
Common Yellowthroat, Quabbin Park, MA, May 21, 2023
Chestnut sided Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, May 21, 2023
Wilson's Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, May 21, 2023
Tennessee Warbler, Mitch's Way, Hadley, MA, May 21, 2023

After rain overnight and no real migration I decided I would try to track down some Mourning Warblers and try to get some recordings plus see if the Hooded Warbler decided to stick around in Hadley.  I made it there before sunrise and walked about a mile in and then back out with just a single Mourning Warbler that sang just once and no sign of the Hooded Warbler.  More birders were arriving as I was leaving and as far as I know the Hooded Warbler was not seen or heard by anyone today.  The number of singing Tennessee Warblers at the location continues to be impressive.  I made a few more quick stops as I headed back toward home and then onto Quabbin Park for a couple hours.  I had some decent warblers in the park once again with two Mourning Warblers (I managed to get a recording and some photos of one).  Just 23 species of warblers for today with no Bay breasted Warbler or Cape May Warblers and not the two expected species one would get at Skinner SP as I didn't make it up the mountain today.  There is still the slim chance of having another big warbler day but the door is rapidly closing on that possibility.  

No comments:

Post a Comment