Thursday, November 30, 2023

Warblers at the end of November

Nashville Warbler, Great Pond, Hatfield, MA, Nov 26, 2023
Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Nov 26, 2023
Pine Warbler, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Nov 28, 2023
Pine Warbler, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Nov 28, 2023
Pine Warbler, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Nov 30, 2023

The end of November has arrived and with it the weather has turned even more winter like with cold days, colder nights, strong winds and a few dustings of snow.  I mainly spent my workfree time keeping tabs on the lingering warbler species.  I last saw the Wilson's Warbler on the 16th and multiple trips after didn't produce it so it may have moved on or finally got taken out by the weather or a predator.  I was very surprised to find the Nashville Warbler still hanging on in Hatfield through at least the 26th (and pushing my latest date for the species even later).  The group of Pine Warblers at Winsor Dam continued through the very end of the month although the numbers have dwindled the last couple days.  I had multiple Yellow rumped Warblers at multiple locations and some will likely still be around to start off the month of December.  Overall for the month I had a half dozen species in the county.

No comments:

Post a Comment