Monday, November 13, 2023

Nashville Warbler today sets new record for a late date for me with the species

Nashville Warbler, Great Pond, Hatfield, MA, Nov 13, 2023
Nashville Warbler, Great Pond, Hatfield, MA, Nov 13, 2023

Today was the coldest morning we have had to endure so far with lows down near 20.  Thankfully there was no wind and the skies were sunny for the morning.  I had to be over in the Hadley area to pick up my new car in the morning so I headed in that direction to start my morning.  After a few stops I decided to try my luck up at Great Pond to try to relocate a very late Nashville Warbler that Scott found a couple days ago.  I found the bird fairly quickly but trying to get any photos took a bit longer.  Eventually I got some at least marginal photos.  The sighting becomes my latest ever for the species in the county, beating my previous best I set last year on November 7th at the same location.  The Nashville Warbler brings me up to half a dozen warbler species for the month in the county so far.

Pine Warblers, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Nov 13, 2023
Pine Warblers, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Nov 13, 2023

On my way home I decided to make a quick stop at Winsor Dam with the main focus being on checking for any waterfowl but I quickly noticed multiple species using the thickets and lawn in front of the admin building to feed and I figured there was a good chance the Pine Warblers that have been around may join the flock and I was right.  I had at least three individuals (two dull birds and a bright male)...yesterday I had at least two bright individuals so there is likely at least four Pine Warblers around the location.

No comments:

Post a Comment