Saturday, September 9, 2023

A high feeding Mourning Warbler among a dozen species of warbler today

 

Mourning Warbler, Great Pond, Hatfield, MA, Sep 9, 2023
Mourning Warbler, Great Pond, Hatfield, MA, Sep 9, 2023

I headed out this morning on another warm and humid morning and decided last minute to go across the river to Great Pond and I was glad I did.  The most unusual warbler for the morning was a Mourning Warbler that was at least 40' up in a tree feeding...very unusual behavior for a species that usually is in dense thickets and rarely makes it above a few feet off the ground.  The eye ring could easily fool someone into thinking Connecticut Warbler but it was indeed a Mourning Warbler.

American Redstart, Hadley, MA, Sep 9, 2023
Black and White Warbler, Hadley, MA, Sep 9, 2023
Prairie Warbler, Great Pond, Hatfield, MA, Sep 9, 2023
Yellow Warbler, Great Pond, Hatfield, MA, Sep 9, 2023
American Redstart, Great Pond, Hatfield, MA, Sep 9, 2023
Northern Parula, Great Pond, Hatfield, MA, Sep 9, 2023
Common Yellowthroat, Great Pond, Hatfield, MA, Sep 9, 2023
Palm Warbler 'western', Great Pond, Hatfield, MA, Sep 9, 2023
Palm Warblers 'western', Great Pond, Hatfield, MA, Sep 9, 2023

Besides the above mentioned Mourning Warbler my stop at Great Pond featured a total of nine species of warbler including my first Palm Warblers of the fall (with a total of seven).  Some of the warblers showed well down low while others stayed near the tops of the mature trees that line the pond.  I also made a stop along the river in Hadley and added more warblers.  As I was walking out I got a text from Mary that she had a Connecticut Warbler in the East Meadows so I eventually headed over to the location but had no luck.  By the time I got there the sun was poking out and it was warming up quickly and the time was past ten.  I very seldom get Connecticut Warblers past ten in the morning.  Hopefully I will run across a few Connecticut Warblers over the next couple weeks as their migration peaks in the area.  I ended the morning with a dozen species of warblers.










No comments:

Post a Comment