Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Two warbler species today including a Common Yellowthroat

I took advantage of a rare above average temperature day by exploring a number of areas that now are accessible after a lot of snow melt.  I started off along the rail trail where I had the best bird of the day when I had a Common Yellowthroat pop up very briefly in a large marsh.  It was really just a flash of yellow that quickly disappeared.  The bird then called a couple times but then never made another noise and never came back into view, very reminiscent of another yellowthroat I found in the same area back in mid January of last year.  I struck out on warblers during a few other stops in the morning in the Hadley and Amherst area.  Later in the morning while out with Wilson I had a flyover Yellow rumped Warbler along the Swift River in Ware making it a two warbler day in December.  Sadly no photos or recordings for the day.

A couple recent reports of unusual warblers have shown up in the western mass area with a Pine Warbler coming to a feeder in Orange and a Orange crowned Warbler found moving through a backyard in Holyoke.  Unfortunately neither were in Hampshire County but it shows there are still some warblers besides Yellow rumped Warblers around the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment