Monday, September 23, 2024

A bit of an influx of migrants

Northern Parula, Belchertown, MA, Sep 23, 2024
Blackpoll Warbler, Belchertown, MA, Sep 23, 2024
Pine Warbler, Belchertown, MA, Sep 23, 2024
Black and White Warbler, Reed Conservation Area, Belchertown, MA, Sep 23, 2024
Blackpoll Warbler, Reed Conservation Area, Belchertown, MA, Sep 23, 2024
Black throated Blue Warbler, Reed Conservation Area, Belchertown, MA, Sep 23, 2024

After a late night out I was not out as early as typical but I was still out relatively early but I decided to stay in the immediate area of town.  It was another cool morning with some migration overnight and I decided to head to Winsor Dam first in the off chance something unusual was around before I started looking for warblers as the morning sun warmed stuff up.  I made a good decision and found a Common Tern at the dam...a nice start to the morning even if it is not a warbler!  I then tried a spot in Quabbin Park and didn't find too much there so headed a bit further north and had some great luck at the Reed Conservation Area, where I had eight species including a good showing of both Northern Parula and Blackpoll Warbler.  I hit a few more spots in Belchertown and added a few more species and brought my total for the day to eleven species.  Given the lackluster showing of migrants, days with double digit counts are numbered for sure.  More on the migration season a bit later but overall it seems to have been early with many species and with great migration conditions for the past few weeks a lot of birds just sailed right on by with nothing to stop them...good for birds, bad for birders.

No comments:

Post a Comment