Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Record late date for Common Yellowthroat

After a little snow yesterday that kept me inside working on photos from my recent trip to Florida, I headed out this morning to see if either of the two Common Yellowthroats I had in Amherst before I left for my trip were still around.  I struck out on finding the first one that I have only seen once back on the 7th and originally found earlier in the month by John Y.  I then headed to the location of the second individual that I last saw on January 5th...I originally found this individual in early December.  I made it down to the edge of the very flooded marsh and had the bird fly across an area of open water to some other marsh grass and quickly disappear.  It called just once and then did not make another noise.  I then spent the next 45 minutes trying to relocate it to get a photo or recording but no luck.  This becomes my latest date ever for the species by almost a week.  My previous late date was January 17 in 2019 in the exact same area.  I will return to check both locations in the next several days to see if I can get any photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment