Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Fruitless search for a Pine Warbler in Northampton

I have spent multiple days this week in a fruitless quest to see a Pine Warbler that has been coming in sporadically to a feeder in Northampton.  I tried on multiple days when I had a free morning from work but no luck.  The homeowner initially saw it coming into her feeders on Friday the 16th during a snow/rain storm and she saw it again on the 17th (after I had left after looking for it for 45 minutes).  I tried again yesterday but no luck in almost an hour of looking.  She has not seen it since the 17th but she has not been around looking constantly.  I suspect if the bird has survived it may be forced back into the feeders with the next snowstorm  and/or big cool down...time will tell.  She will let me know if it returns and I will give it another try if I can.

Pine Warbler is a very rare warbler here in winter and only a handful of records exist for the winter season here.  I was lucky enough to get to spend some time with an individual that overwintered in Granby in 2020 with it first being seen in January and continuing into February and seen through the remainder of winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment