Thursday, January 23, 2020

Pine Warbler in January in Granby!

Pine Warbler, Granby, MA, Jan 23, 2020
Pine Warbler, Granby, MA, Jan 23, 2020
Pine Warbler, Granby, MA, Jan 23, 2020
While I was on vacation and checking reports from back at home I noticed that a Pine Warbler was reported coming to a series of suet feeders at a private residence in Granby.  I contacted the homeowner (Carol M.) to see if I could post her report to eBird and include the through the window photo she took and she allowed me to post the report and photo.  She continued to report the bird coming in despite the below zero lows for the last couple mornings.  I got back in touch yesterday to see if I could swing by to try to see the bird and possibly get some better photos and she graciously allowed me to stop by this morning.  The house is in a suburban area and it would be very difficult to get looks at the bird without the cooperation of the homeowner and neighbors as you have to look right at the front of the house to get looks at the bird if it showed up.  Carol was great about letting her neighbors know I would be stopping by.  I made it to the location a bit before eight in the morning and almost immediately had the bird come in briefly to the suet before it disappeared.  I then set up the scope and after a wait of about 15 minutes it returned and I got a series of digiscoped shots.  A fantastic warbler to have around the area in January and one of just a handful of records for the area in winter (and my first ever in January around here).  In looking at eBird reports there are just two other winter season reports (one in January and another in February) in Hampshire County.  I was very appreciative of the Carol for letting me intrude on her neighborhood so I could see the bird and get some better documentation photos.  Hopefully the bird continues to make it through the winter.  Link to eBird report with additional photos here.

No comments:

Post a Comment