Sunday, December 4, 2022

Yellow rumped Warbler this morning marks the 68th consecutive month for a warbler in Hampshire County for me

 

Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Mitch's Way, Hadley, MA, Dec 4, 2022
Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Mitch's Way, Hadley, MA, Dec 4, 2022
Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Mitch's Way, Hadley, MA, Dec 4, 2022

After a bit of searching over the last few day I finally found a warbler species for December with a single Yellow rumped Warbler in Hadley (I struck out yesterday on relocating a Palm Warbler that Mary found on the 2nd in Hatfield).  This was the first day that the weather cooperated a bit and I was not working.  Even today the conditions were not great for tracking down warblers as it was mainly overcast with an occasional breeze.  I spent nearly an hour in an area I have had overwintering Yellow rumped Warblers the last few years before I finally found one.  It appeared to be feeding on poison ivy berries and did not come in close at all for photos so only managed some distant shots.  The Yellow rumped Warbler sighting this morning marks the 68th consecutive month I have found a warbler species in Hampshire County.  I'll certainly be out looking for more for the remainder of the year and then into the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment