Friday, June 10, 2022

Record setting spring for Mourning Warblers

Mourning Warbler, Home, Belchertown, MA, May 19, 2022
Mourning Warbler, Mitch's Way, Hadley, MA, May 20, 2022
Mourning Warbler, Hadley, MA, May 25, 2022

Now that the migration of Mourning Warblers is over for the spring I will take a quick look at the totals for what was a record setting season for me in regards to the species.  I ended the spring migration season with 19 individuals, including an amazing ten on May 20th alone.  I managed to get recordings of almost all and had all three possible regiolects possible here (Eastern, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland) represented in my recordings plus an odd individual on May 25th that was a hybrid of a Nova Scotia and Eastern regiolect (one of only a few ever noted by the researcher studying these regiolects).  My total of 19 beats my previous best year of 2019 when I had 13 individuals and surpasses an average year when I get perhaps half a dozen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment