Thursday, June 30, 2022

End of June warblers

Prairie Warbler, Mount Holyoke Range SP, Granby, MA, Jun 30, 2022
Common Yellowthroat, Mount Holyoke Range SP, Granby, MA, Jun 30, 2022
Brewster's Warbler, Sweet Alice Conservation Area, Amherst, MA, Jun 30, 2022

June has come to an end and overall for the month I found a total of 22 species of warblers plus Lawrence's Warbler and Brewster's Warbler hybrids (plus other Blue winged x Golden winged Warbler hybrids).  No big surprises for the month (or spring overall) beyond a variety of hybrids that have continued.  The big miss for the spring into early summer for me continues to be a Hooded Warbler in Hampshire County (I have seen one in Hampden County in late May).  Although fairly rare in the county, as the species is at its northern limit here, I usually can turn up at least one for the year but not this year.  In fact there has been but a single report of an individual on the county line in Holyoke and the bird didn't stay long and was uncooperative for almost everyone that went looking for it.  The last year that I failed to turn one up was back in 2016.  Since 2009 (the first year I had one in the county) I have only missed seeing the species on three previous years.  I suppose there is still a slight chance of turning one up but the chance are slim this late in the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment