Sunday, March 31, 2019

Some early Palm Warblers as March ends (plus some Pine Warblers)

Palm Warbler 'yellow', Home, Belchertown, MA, Mar 31, 2019
Palm Warbler 'yellow', Home, Belchertown, MA, Mar 31, 2019
Following some strong southerly winds from yesterday into today a number of warblers showed up including a group of three Palm Warblers in the yard today as well as a Pine Warbler (also in the yard) and another flyby Pine Warbler at Winsor Dam.  The Pine Warblers were overdue but the Palm Warblers were certainly slightly on the early side and the first time I have had multiples together in March in Hampshire County.  I had specifically visited a few areas in search of the species this morning with no luck before I had to head back home to take Wilson for a walk.  After the walk the weather was still fairly warm so I headed out into the yard to get some chores done and almost immediately heard a warbler chip and noticed two birds chasing each other through some of the oaks.  I grabbed my binoculars and noticed they were both Palm Warblers and then noticed a third one with them (all yellow eastern birds).  I got a few crappy photos with my cellphone through the binoculars before running back to the house to get a better camera.  I returned to find the three birds moving high through the trees and disappearing but not before I got a few distant photos in terrible light.   I have only had Palm Warblers in March on two previous occasions in the county, last year and 2012.  In addition to the two species of warblers mentioned above I also had an overwintering Yellow rumped Warbler in the East Meadows present through at least mid month giving me three species total for the county for the month...only the second time I have managed to accomplish that.



No comments:

Post a Comment