Friday, September 17, 2010

Connecticut Warbler


Connecticut Warbler, Arcadia Meadows, September 17, 2010

Connecticut Warbler, Arcadia Meadows, September 17, 2010

Given the weather forecast of early clearing leading to sunny skies with lighter north winds made me decide to make the trip across the river once again to hawk watch at Goat Peak. I first arrived at dawn at Arcadia before going up to hawk watch. There was a bit of drizzle but it quickly stopped. There appeared to less warblers around then on previous trips there over the last few days but it may have been the weather. I wasn't sure I was going to have much luck and then I came across the best warbler of the day. The highlight was the Connecticut Warbler I came across after about an hour here. It showed itself well as it moved about in the dense thicket. It started raining at this point but I stayed and got continued great views and managed at least a few marginal shots. The distance and lighting were terrible but at least I got great looks. My impression was it was a adult female given the plumage I got looks at. It was interesting to see the size comparison as a Black throated Green Warbler flew down next to it and a brief second. The only other big arrival I could find here this morning were Palm Warblers.

No comments:

Post a Comment