Sunday, April 21, 2024

Slow migration so far but with some warblers around

Black and White Warbler, Rail trail, Amherst, MA, Apr 20, 2024
Black and White Warbler, Rail trail, Amherst, MA, Apr 20, 2024
'
Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Rail trail, Amherst, MA, Apr 20, 2024
Palm Warbler 'yellow', Rail trail, Amherst, MA, Apr 20, 2024

Yesterday was the first day of the migration season I was able to find five species of warblers with the new one being my first Black and White Warbler along the rail trail in Amherst. Migration conditions continue to be subpar and I have not had any early arrivals. Even the number of expected early season migrants (such as Palm Warblers and Yellow rumped Warblers) are still not around in as high a number as I would expect by this point in April. I'm still out as much as I can be trying to track down as many warblers as I can and always hoping for a rarity to be among the more expected species. 

Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Belchertown Land Trust Trail, Belchertown, MA, Apr 21, 2024
Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Belchertown Land Trust Trail, Belchertown, MA, Apr 21, 2024
Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Lake Wallace, Belchertown, MA, Apr 21, 2024
Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Lake Wallace, Belchertown, MA, Apr 21, 2024
Palm Warbler 'yellow', Lake Wallace, Belchertown, MA, Apr 21, 2024

Today started off quite cold with temps at freezing with an occasional light wind early on...certainly not feeling very spring like.  I stayed in the Ware/Belchertown area for the day and only managed to turn up three species of warblers.  There seemed to be more Yellow rumped Warblers around then in previous days so perhaps a few more moved in overnight.  Monday night looks to be the next push of migrants as conditions improve a bit for new arrivals. 

Pine Warbler and Black capped Chickadee, Home, Belchertown, MA, Apr 19, 2024

I have had three species of warbler at the house so far and I managed to catch my first species at the water feature yesterday with the arrival of a Pine Warbler.

No comments:

Post a Comment