Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Pine Warblers and Yellow rumped Warblers as 2023 comes to an end

Pine Warbler, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Dec 26, 2023
Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Mitch's Way, Hadley, MA, Dec 25, 2023

I have spent a few days trying to pin down late warblers to finish out 2023 and hopefully have their locations mapped out to start the new year.  Thankfully I have felt better each day after another bout with Covid.  I have mainly spent a lot of my time around Winsor Dam trying to tracking down the small group of Pine Warblers.  They have been elusive for a few days but I finally tracked down one and possibly two today.  They seem to cover a fairly large area with some of those areas off limits.  Typically they have been in the same area as a group of Eastern Bluebirds, however today I found them with a mixed species flock that didn't have any bluebirds in it.  Yesterday I went to Mitch's Way and after a lot of muddy walking I found a couple of Yellow rumped Warblers.  This area has featured overwintering Yellow rumped Warblers for a few years now and hopefully they will overwinter once again.  I will be checking a few other areas as the year ends to find more potential spots for late Yellow rumped Warblers (and perhaps others).

No comments:

Post a Comment