Saturday, October 22, 2022

Some late warblers to begin the fourth week of October and a relatively slow third week of the month

Common Yellowthroat, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Oct 22, 2022
Palm Warbler 'yellow', Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Oct 22, 2022
Palm Warbler 'western', Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Oct 22, 2022
Blackpoll Warbler, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Oct 22, 2022
Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Oct 22, 2022
Palm Warbler 'yellow', Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, Oct 22, 2022
Nashville Warbler, Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, Oct 22, 2022
Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Belchertown, MA, Oct 22, 2022

I started off the fourth week of October turning up a decent selection of warblers for the date with a few late species.  The morning started off a bit frosty but with full sunshine the temps eventually warmed up into the upper 60's by the afternoon.  I actually had a few hours available after getting out of work and not having to head right home to meet with contractors like I had to for most of last week.  I started off at Arcadia where I turned up two late Common Yellowthroats and a late Black throated Green Warbler plus a single Blackpoll Warbler, a high count of 16 Palm Warblers (with one 'western' type) and lots of Yellow rumped Warblers.  After a bit over an hour and a half I headed across the river and stopped at Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River which produced a late Nashville Warbler, eight Palm Warblers and a few Yellow rumped Warblers.  I ended the morning with a half dozen warbler species.

Palm Warbler 'yellow', Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Oct 16, 2022
Common Yellowthroat, Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, Oct 16, 2022
Palm Warbler 'western', Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, Oct 16, 2022
Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Belchertown Land Trust Trail, Belchertown, MA, Oct 18, 2022
Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Swift River, Belchertown, MA, Oct 19, 2022

I have not been out birding as much as I wanted during the third week of the month as I have spent most of the week dealing with oil furnace issues as the old unit finally bit the dust and I had to schedule multiple days to get everything replaced...an expensive nightmare but I was glad it happened when I had some time off and it was not the dead of winter (or during the peak of migration).  I did get out a bit and I'll quick summarize the days below.  After work on Sunday the 16th I stopped briefly at Arcadia but it was a bit too foggy and slow there so I headed over to Hadley to Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River and that area was a bit more active but still relatively slow.  Monday was also foggy and slow for warblers with just a couple species with occasionally rainy conditions.  On Tuesday I was out early before I had to return home to meet some contractors and found little in the way of warblers but I did have a slightly late Pine Warbler among the more expected species.  Wednesday was the coldest morning of the fall season so far with lows in the upper 20's and some freezing fog to make the morning more interesting.  I only had about an hour right at sunrise and decided to try to relocate the Pine Warbler I had the day before to get some photos but had no luck.  Only warblers around were a few Yellow rumped Warblers and a single Palm Warbler (not surprising as there was a good night of migration on Tuesday night so lots of stuff moved).  Thursday was another frosty morning and I had just a bit of time before I had to be back home to meet with contractors again and my stop at Quabbin Park produced several Yellow rumped Warblers and three Palm Warblers.  


No comments:

Post a Comment