Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Split of Rufous capped Warbler into two species

Chestnut capped Warbler, Casa Botanica, San Vito, Costa Rica, Jan 18, 2018
Chestnut capped Warbler, Rio Magnolia Lodge, Costa Rica, Apr 10, 2015 (first record for the lodge)
Rufous capped Warbler, Florida Canyon, AZ, March 31, 2010

The latest eBird update was recently completed and it reflects the lastest taxonomic changes for 2021 accepted by the AOS.  The latest change split Rufous capped Warbler into two species with the white bellied northern birds found from Mexico/Guatemala north retaining the name Rufous capped Warbler and those south through most of Central America becoming Chestnut capped Warbler.  The two species differ visually and have different songs and calls.  I had seen both of these former subspecies so the split gives me another species of warbler.  Using the eBird list I now have 85 species of warbler on my list but I count a few more species that have not yet been accepted by eBird (I'll have a later post on those sometime in the future).  More on the other changes for 2021 can be found at the following link.

No comments:

Post a Comment