Wednesday, April 21, 2021

A couple new warbler species today

 

Louisiana Waterthrush, Quabbin Park, MA, Apr 21, 2021
Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Rail trail, Amherst, MA, Apr 21, 2021
Black and White Warbler, Rail trail, Amherst, MA, Apr 21, 2021
Palm Warbler 'yellow', Rail trail, Amherst, MA, Apr 20, 2021

Today I finally added a couple new species of warbler for the spring here with my first Northern Waterthtrush and Black and White Warbler.  Besides these new arrivals there are slowly increasing numbers of Palm Warblers and Yellow rumped Warblers but not huge numbers so far.  Overall the migration season is a little slow but I suspect that will change by the middle of next week but until then weather conditions will overall not be conducive to big movements of migrants.  In fact after a couple days of south winds a cold front is coming in today and tonight will come close to breaking a record low in the mid 20's with strong northwest winds and tomorrow will not make it out of the 40's.  

Pine Warbler (with Ruby crowned Kinglet), Home, Belchertown, MA, Apr 20, 2021

I captured my first warbler of the spring on the camera trained on the water feature with a male Pine Warbler showing up.  I have had Pine Warblers around the yard for weeks but this is the first capture.  Palm Warblers and Yellow rumped Warblers have also shown up in the last few days but so far have not stopped at the water feature.  After setting up the new water feature later in the fall last year I got six species and with the Pine Warbler added yesterday I'm up to seven warbler species so far.  I have high hopes of adding quite a few over the course of the spring migration season.

No comments:

Post a Comment