Thursday, January 9, 2020

More Yellow rumped Warblers over the last few days

Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Jan 7, 2020
Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Jan 7, 2020
Yellow rumped Warblers 'myrtle', Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Jan 7, 2020
Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', East Meadows, Northampton, MA, Jan 10, 2020
There continues to be a number of Yellow rumped Warblers around from the end of the first week of the month into the middle of the second week.  I went down to Arcadia on Tuesday morning where the species has been the most reliable lately with multiple individuals around.  I initially could not find any in the area near the metal bridge but after exploring a couple other areas I found a group of at least five in a new area (I also saw a report from yesterday of another group of several individuals near the rookery which is well away from where I had mine on Tuesday so there is likely at least two separate groups of the warblers down at Arcadia).  After work this morning I headed down to the East Meadows where Aaron had an amazing flock of 18 Yellow rumped Warblers yesterday (easily the largest group of warblers in western mass in January, if not the entire winter season...I had a group of eleven one day back in February 2018, which is my highest count for warblers in the county in the winter season).  It was very cold to start the morning with a slight breeze which is what probably kept the warblers a bit more subdued and I managed to turn up just four (which is still quite good for January!).  Certainly looks as if a fair number of warblers are attempting to overwinter and I will keep tabs on them as much as vacations, work and weather allow.

No comments:

Post a Comment