Sunday, April 21, 2019

Warblers for the third week of April


Black and White Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, Apr 21, 2019
Palm Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, Apr 21, 2019
Palm Warbler, Home, Belchertown, MA, Apr 21, 2019
Palm Warbler, rail trail, Amherst, MA, Apr 14, 2019
Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', rail trail, Amherst, MA, Apr 14, 2019
Pine Warbler, Home, Belchertown, MA, Apr 13, 2019
The southerly winds during most of the last week has moved in a number of warblers including some that are a bit on the early side.  I spent a few hours this morning at Quabbin Park and added two new warblers species for my Hampshire County list this year with half a dozen Black and White Warblers and two early Black throated Green Warblers.  In addition I had two Louisiana Waterthrushes, a few Palm Warblers and large numbers of Pine Warbler and Yellow rumped Warblers.  Today's Black throated Green Warblers beats my old early date for the species set in 2007 and 2011 when I had it on 4/24.  It will be interesting to see if this early arrival for species continues into the end of the month and if I get any other new early record dates (link to my previous early and late dates in Hampshire County).  I have also seen some reports in the last couple days of Northern Waterthrush, Nashville Warbler and Northern Parula.
Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Home, Belchertown, MA, Apr 19, 2019
Another warbler species showed up at the water feature on Friday with the arrival of a few Yellow rumped Warblers.  I had captured a Pine Warbler in the water at the beginning of the month.  I have had a total of 13 species of warbler show up at the water feature since I put it in, with last year bringing in eleven species with four of those never captured before.  Time will tell how many show up this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment