Friday, April 23, 2021

Yellow rumped Warblers at the suet feeders on some cold, windy days

Yellow rumped Warblers 'myrtle', Home, Belchertown, MA, Apr 22, 2021
Yellow rumped Warblers 'myrtle', Home, Belchertown, MA, Apr 22, 2021

With the cold and windy conditions yesterday (highs reached the low 40's with wind chills in the 20's) I noticed a couple Yellow rumped Warblers coming into the one suet feeder I have kept out during the daylight hours.  The numbers continued to build as I watched and eventually I was able to count at least eight in view at once (there were likely more around too).  Today was only slightly warmer but still windy and the warblers were back again.  This is easily the most warblers I have had come into the feeders ever.  The cold conditions certainly made finding insects a bit difficult and the warblers took advantage of an easy food source until it warms a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment