Wednesday, April 28, 2021

A decent influx overnight with 14 species of warbler

Yellow Warbler, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Apr 28, 2021
Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Apr 28, 2021
Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Apr 28, 2021
Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Apr 28, 2021

Migration conditions overnight produced the first big influx of warblers for the season.  Once I got out of work I headed over to Arcadia and immediately started hearing warblers with my first Yellow Warblers for the season being the first ones heard.  I stopped when I heard some more chip notes and came across large numbers of Yellow rumped Warblers with other species sprinkled in including my first Ovenbirds, Nashville Warblers, Common Yellowthroat, Northern Parulas and Black throated Blue Warblers in the county for the year.  The number of Yellow rumped Warblers was impressive with waves moving past with dozens in view at once.  I counted at least 200 hundred individuals but there were likely many, many more.  Most of the warblers stayed up fairly high actively feeding and I spent lots of timing looking through the hordes for something unusual so didn't get many photos.  I had eleven species of warbler just in a small area at Arcadia and added three more for the day with multiple Louisiana Waterthrushes and Pine Warblers at a few locations and a Prairie Warbler at home.  It was nice to finally have some good migrations conditions to bring in some new species.

No comments:

Post a Comment