Thursday, August 31, 2017

End of August warblers with a few early species


Cape May Warbler, Jabish Canal, Belchertown, MA, Aug 29, 2017
Yellow Warbler, Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, Aug 29, 2017
Common Yellowthroat, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Aug 31, 2017
Black throated Green Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, Aug 24, 2017
Wilson's Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, Aug 24, 2017
Black and White Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, Aug 24, 2017
As August comes to an end the fall migration season will soon be here in full force. The next month will see a big movement of warblers as they head south until next spring. So far for this fall migration season (August 15-November) I have found 23 species of warbler including some early migrants including two Tennessee Warblers on August 17, Connecticut Warbler, Cape May Warbler and two Northern Parula on August 29 and a Wilson's Warbler on August 24.  The Connecticut Warbler is my earliest record ever around here and my first in August.  It will be interesting to see how many Connecticut Warblers I can find this season and if I can come close to my record breaking season last year when I found an amazing ten individuals!  More about last year at the following link:Connecticut Warblers 2016.  The Connecticut Warbler becomes warbler species #32 for the year in Hampshire County for me so far.

A few selected lists from the end of August with additional photos here:

Quabbin Park Aug 24
Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River Aug 29
Arcadia Aug 31

No comments:

Post a Comment