Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Yellow rumped Warblers and Pine Warblers as the end of March rapidly approaches

Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Great Pond, Hatfield, MA, Mar 27, 2024
Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Great Pond, Hatfield, MA, Mar 27, 2024
Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Great Pond, Hatfield, MA, Mar 27, 2024
Pine Warbler, UMASS demonstration forest, Belchertown, MA, Mar 27, 2024
Pine Warbler, UMASS demonstration forest, Belchertown, MA, Mar 27, 2024

I finally felt well enough after work today to try to find a few warblers despite the drizzly conditions early on.  The symptoms of my cold have now faded quite a bit so it was nice to get some fresh air.  My first stop was to Great Pond where I found at least three Yellow rumped Warblers including a male coming into breeding plumage.  After a few other stop and errands in the Amherst area I stopped by Winsor Dam and eventually had a Pine Warbler singing occasionally.  It never showed itself so I had to be content with a heard only bird.  It appears the overwintering group of Pine Warblers has split up and the bird today seemed to be on breeding territory.  I then came home and picked up Wilson to go for a walk.  We came across another Pine Warbler and this one showed itself well enough to get some photos.  Although the migration conditions do not look good for the end of March there is always the chance of an early Palm Warbler showing up and I will certainly be out there looking for one when I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment