Monday, November 7, 2022

Late warblers on another very warm day

 

 Orange crowned Warbler, Great Pond, Hatfield, MA, Nov 7, 2022
Orange crowned Warbler, Great Pond, Hatfield, MA, Nov 7, 2022
Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Great Pond, Hatfield, MA, Nov 7, 2022
Nashville Warbler, Great Pond, Hatfield, MA, Nov 7, 2022

I ended the last of a four day stretch of days with high temps that topped out in the low to mid 70's looking for a couple late warblers at Great Pond and luckily finding both.  Mary initially found them on Saturday but I didn't have a chance to look for them until this morning due to work obligations.  I arrived at the location a little before eight with a temperature in the mid 60's that only warmed up from there (typical high temps now are in the low to mid 50's so a warm day for sure).  Within just a few minutes I found a couple Yellow rumped Warblers and with them was a slightly late Orange crowned Warbler.  Orange crowned Warbler is a low density migrant in the area and can show up anywhere from late September through November and can be quite tough to find some years (this is just my second sighting of the fall).  I got a few photos before the bird moved out of view and never showed itself again.  I then walked a few areas in the immediate area and eventually turned up a Nashville Warbler travelling by itself plus at least one more Yellow rumped Warbler.  The Nashville Warbler is getting quite late (my latest date ever was last year when I had multiples on October 22nd with any record into November noteworthy).  With the addition of these two species this morning I have now had five species of warbler for the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment