Sunday, October 17, 2021

An even later date for Connecticut Warbler

Connecticut Warbler, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Oct 15, 2021
Connecticut Warbler, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Oct 15, 2021

I did not expect to break my late date on Friday for Connecticut Warbler that I had just set a couple days ago but I did (I would have posted this earlier but internet issues hampered posting for a couple days).  Friday was yet another foggy morning (but not as bad overall as the last several). I was walking a tree line in the hopes of being in the right spot when the sun finally broke through but just as it looked like it would break through the fog would roll back in. As I was cursing the lack of sun I noticed a yellowish bird pop up from among the sparrow hordes. A quick look showed a Connecticut Warbler out in the open offering great looks. I immediately started taking photos and the bird stayed on the same branch for almost half a minute before flying off and disappearing. I presume it is the same individual as the plumage is similar and it was not too far away from the spot where I had one a few days before. I was really surprised to find the species again as it is getting so late in the season and the migration conditions the last few nights had been great.  Besides the CONW there were just four other species of warbler around with a couple Common Yellowthroats, a single Blackpoll Warbler, 11 Palm Warblers (all of the yellow subspecies) and 20+ Yellow rumped Warblers.

No comments:

Post a Comment