Monday, August 30, 2021

End of August

Black and White Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, Aug 27, 2021
American Redstart, Quabbin Park, MA, Aug 27, 2021
Northern Parula, Holyoke Dam, South Hadley, MA, Aug 23, 2021

Now that the end of August is rapidly approaching I will look at what the month produced.  Overall for the month I ended with 23 species of warblers with all of them in Hampshire County (which is slightly higher than my average August in the county that usually tops out around 20).  The higher total is a combination of getting some warblers that usually leave early at the beginning of the month and adding in a few early migrants later in the month including a good showing of early Northern Parulas as well as a Cape May Warbler and a Bay breasted Warbler added just today.  With September just around the corner the full weight of fall warbler migration arrives over the next few weeks.  I will certainly be out as much as I can be to see as many as I can and hopefully find something unusual.  

Black throated Green Warbler, Home, Belchertown, MA, Aug 29, 2021

I captured my first Black throated Green Warbler of the fall on the camera at the water feature yesterday...just the beginning of many fall migrant warblers to come hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment