Friday, January 1, 2021

New Years Day Yellow rumped Warblers

 

Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Hadley, MA, Jan 1, 2021
Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Hadley, MA, Jan 1, 2021

I headed out before dawn this morning to begin another year of birding and among my big targets was a warbler to continue my streak of warblers in Hampshire County.  There has been a single Yellow rumped Warbler hanging out in Hadley that I was hopeful would still be around when I finally got to that area after birding some other areas.  I was surprised to run across another Yellow rumped Warbler before even making it to the spot in Hadley when I stopped off at Lower Mill Pond in Easthampton.  As soon as I got there I heard a Yellow rumped Warbler chipping and got a brief glimpse as it headed downstream from the pond but a search failed to turn it back up.  I eventually made it over to the spot in Hadley and after a bit of looking I found the Yellow rumped Warbler and got some distant photos.  My streak has now been expanded to 45 months straight of finding a warbler in the county.  January and February are usually the toughest month to find them so I will certainly be keeping tabs on the lingering warblers in the hopes they stay through February.  

No comments:

Post a Comment