Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Connecticut Warbler today and other warblers in the last several days

Connecticut Warbler, Aqua Vitae Rd, Hadley, MA, Oct 6, 2020
Connecticut Warbler, Aqua Vitae Rd, Hadley, MA, Oct 6, 2020

With the first week of October almost over I figured I would take a look at what warblers I have managed to turn up.  During the first week of the month I managed to find a total of 17 species of warblers.  I have been out most mornings including this morning when I found a Connecticut Warbler (only my third of the season and the first one I have been able to get any photos of).  I found it the way I typically find the species by listening for its distinctive chip.  Although getting quite late I have had Connecticut Warbler in early October a few times (seven total records with my latest ever date being October 7 in 2016 and 2017).  
Tennessee Warbler, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Oct 3, 2020
Palm Warbler 'yellow', Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Oct 3, 2020
Palm Warbler 'western', Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Oct 3, 2020
Prairie Warbler, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Oct 5, 2020
Magnolia Warbler, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Oct 5, 2020
Common Yellowthroat, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Oct 5, 2020
American Redstart, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Oct 5, 2020
Blackpoll Warbler, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Oct 5, 2020

Other notables (mainly because they are lingering a bit past their expected departure time) included with the notable among these being a few late warblers: Yellow Warbler on the third, a Northern Waterthrush and a Prairie Warbler on the fourth and a Cape May Warbler and Black and White Warbler today.  The predominant warbler (as expected) for the first week was the Yellow rumped Warbler which arrived in large numbers. Palm Warblers of both subspecies were also around in decent numbers as were Common Yellowthroats (although that species is starting to drop in number). The remaining species were present in low numbers and most of these will be gone very soon.
Palm Warbler 'yellow', Home, Belchertown, MA, Oct 1, 2020

The new water feature captured another new warbler species on the first when a Palm Warbler showed up.  This makes three species so far and I'm looking forward to seeing what next spring will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment