Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Grand Bahama trip Feb 7-11 produces three new warbler species


Ovenbird, Garden of Grand Bahama Birders B&B, Grand Bahama, Feb 7, 2017
The second part of our recent vacation started with a ferry ride on Tuesday the 7th from Fort Lauderdale over to Freeport, Grand Bahama. My main targets for the trip over to Grand Bahama were the two endemic warbler species (Bahama Warbler and Bahama Yellowthoat) plus another near endemic warbler (Olive capped Warbler...also found on Cuba).  Sadly the two endemic warblers have not been reported since Hurricane Matthew devastated Grand Bahama back in October so I would really have my work cut out for me in finding them.  The first afternoon produced a number of warblers at our B&B including Palm Warbler, Northern Parula, American Redstart and a couple of very tame Ovenbirds.
Olive capped Warbler, Owl Hole Rd, Grand Bahama, Feb 8, 2017
Olive capped Warbler, Owl Hole Rd, Grand Bahama, Feb 8, 2017
Pine Warbler, Owl Hole Rd, Grand Bahama, Feb 8, 2017
Yellow throated Warbler, Owl Hole Rd, Grand Bahama, Feb 8, 2017
Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Owl Hole Rd, Grand Bahama, Feb 8, 2017
Cape May Warbler, Garden of the Groves, Grand Bahama, Feb 8, 2017
Northern Waterthrush, Garden of the Groves, Grand Bahama, Feb 8, 2017
Cape May Warbler, Garden of the Groves, Grand Bahama, Feb 8, 2017
Black throated Green Warbler, Garden of the Groves, Grand Bahama, Feb 8, 2017
On Wednesday the 8th I hired a guide (Erica Gates) for the entire day to try to track down the above mentioned targets and had some success as well as a few misses. We started out in the pine lands on the way to Owl's Hole looking for pine specialties and after a bit of walking we ran across a mixed species flock that contained at least two Olive capped Warblers. Although we tried to turn up the other two endemic warbler we had no luck here (or any of the other spots we checked over the course of the day). I was certainly happy to get to see, hear and photograph the Olive capped Warbler.  The pine lands also produced a number of other warblers including Common Yellowthroat, Pine Warbler, Palm Warbler (western), Yellow rumped Warbler (myrtle) and Yellow throated Warbler. After an entire morning out in the pine lands we headed over to Garden of the Groves for lunch and a few hours around the park where we ran across a few more new species of warblers for the Bahamas including Northern Waterthrush, Hooded Warbler, Cape May Warbler and Black throated Green Warbler.  Erika is a great guide and knows the island extremely well and I would recommend her to anyone visiting the island.
Bahama Warbler, Pine lands east, Grand Bahama, Feb 9, 2017
Bahama Warbler, Pine lands east, Grand Bahama, Feb 9, 2017
Bahama Warbler, Pine lands east, Grand Bahama, Feb 9, 2017
Bahama Warbler, Owl Hole Rd, Grand Bahama, Feb 9, 2017
Bahama Warbler, Owl Hole Rd,  Grand Bahama, Feb 9, 2017
Olive capped Warbler, Owl Hole Rd, Grand Bahama, Feb 9, 2017
Olive capped Warbler, Owl Hole Rd, Grand Bahama, Feb 9, 2017
Hooded Warbler, Garden of the Groves, Grand Bahama, Feb 9, 2017
Pine Warbler, Pine lands east, Grand Bahama, Feb 9, 2017
I decided to make a slight change from my original plans of hiring a guide for a second day and instead rented a jeep for a couple of days to explore some areas on my own. With Sherri doing some other activities on Thursday I had the entire morning into the afternoon free to explore the pine lands east of Freetown in search of the two endemic warblers I missed the day before. As mentioned before these two species (Bahama Warbler and Bahama Yellowthroat) have apparently become very tough to find following Hurricane Matthew that hit the island last October but I was determined to track them down. I headed out just before sunrise to start looking east of Lucayan NP and after one minor missed turn I was on my way (the toughest part was driving on the left...a throwback to the English roots of the Bahamas). The area past the national park was somewhat quiet and there were not any good spots to penetrate into the pines so I decided to head back to a series of old logging roads which had some sightings of both of my target species before the hurricane. I started on a road north of Owl's Hole Road and one of the first birds I noticed was a Bahama Warbler crawling its way up the side of a pine much like a nuthatch. I was really not expecting it to be so easy to find the bird after a lot of looking yesterday but luck was with me I guess. The area to the north of the main highway would eventually produce at least four individuals of this species plus I added two more individuals later on in the morning along Owl's Hole Road. Glad to see several individuals made it through the storm and continue to occupy the area. I ran across lots of other expected species but I had no luck finding a Bahama Yellowthroat north of the highway. I then decided to try my luck south of the highway in an area we spent some time in yesterday along Owl's Hole Rd. This proved to be a great decision as I ran across a Bahama Yellowthroat about a half mile down the road. I was pishing and had a yellowthroat scolding from the deep undergrowth but I was fully expecting to find another Common Yellowthroat. I tried a little playback and the bird immediately popped up giving me brief but decent looks at a female Bahama Yellowthroat that promptly dove back down and would not show itself again so no luck getting a photo.  The only other new warbler for the Bahamas for the trip was a Black and White Warbler.  At this point it was midday and after all morning out in the hot sun I was ready for a break so I headed back to Garden of the Grove to try my luck there and although I didn't find anything new I got much better looks at a Hooded Warbler there compared to yesterday.
American Redstart, Lucaya NP, Grand Bahama, Feb 10, 2017
Black and White Warbler, Owl Hole Rd, Grand Bahama, Feb 10, 2017
Ovenbird, Garden of Grand Bahama Birders B&B, Grand Bahama, Feb 10, 2017
Our last full day on Grand Bahama dawned much cooler than previous days with temps in the low 60's but the sun quickly warmed us up into the 70's. We took the jeep out to Lucayna NP to walk on some of the trails there before the crowds appeared. The winds was picking up on our way out there and it they would continue throughout the day which made finding birds a bit tough. Our next stop was over to Owl's Hole Road where we walked for about an hour down through the pine lands.  No luck finding a Bahama Yellowthroat there despite a lot of effort but did have a lot of the same species I had the day before including more Bahama Warblers and Olive capped Warblers.
Black and White Warbler, Garden of Grand Bahama Birders B&B, Grand Bahama, Feb 11, 2017
Palm Warbler (western), Reef Golf Course, Grand Bahama, Feb 11, 2017
Ovenbird, Garden of Grand Bahama Birders B&B, Grand Bahama, Feb 11, 2017
Prairie Warbler, Garden of Grand Bahama Birders B&B, Grand Bahama, Feb 11, 2017
Our last day in the Bahamas was spent relatively locally and I started the day just before dawn at the Reef Country Club checking the various ponds and edge before the golfers showed up for the day. Nothing too unusual but large number of western Palm Warblers were around. After about an hour and a half at the country club I headed back to our lodging and the gardens right outside our back door which produced more warblers but nothing new.  Yesterday our host (and guide) asked if I wanted to go I here to a couple of other nearby golf courses to try to get some other new birds and I figured, why not? We headed out late morning to the Emerald Golf Course where we found a number of new species but no new warblers. This golf course has been closed since a couple of severe hurricanes back in 2003/2004 and the area has become overgrown providing some great bird habitat. We walked along some paths through the dense vegetation and had a very intriguing yellowthroat that may have been a Bahama Yellowthroat but we never got good enough looks to be sure.  The rest of the early afternoon I spent more time exploring the gardens at our lodging as well as packing for the trip home. We made it to the port to await the ferry and while there got a message that our flight was already cancelled for Sunday due to another big snow storm back home.

Overall for the trip I managed to find a total of 20 species of warbler with Florida producing 15 species and the Bahamas producing 17.  The trip added three more species of warblers to my list (Olive capped Warbler, Bahama Warbler and Bahama Yellowthroat) bringing my total to 67.


No comments:

Post a Comment