Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Birthday warblers

Palm Warbler (yellow), Gate 9-Quabbin, April 25, 2012 

Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle), Gate 9-Quabbin, April 25, 2012

Black and White Warbler, Gate 9-Quabbin, April 25, 2012
I took the day off from work today for my birthday and spent the morning exploring various areas around Quabbin trying to find some new warbler arrivals.  I was really hoping to find a southern warbler (Yellow-throated, Prothonotary, etc) that was carried north by the southern winds of last week and the storm over the weekend.  Despite my best efforts I had no luck finding any.  I also did not find any new species of warbler today.  However I did have six species of warbler including the Blackburnian in the same spot in Quabbin Park (present since 4/20), the Louisiana Waterthrush near the house, a few Black and White's and an increased number of Palm and Yellow-rumped Warblers as well as quite a few Pine's with some carrying nest material.  The day started out at a chilly 35 and warmed up to the mid 50's before the breeze really kicked in and cooled it down a bit again.

No comments:

Post a Comment