Friday, December 16, 2011

Warblers in Costa Rica

Gray-crowned Yellowthroat, Rio Magnolia Lodge, Costa Rica, Dec 8, 2011

Chestnut-sided Warbler, Rio Magnolia Lodge, Costa Rica, Dec 4, 2011

I just returned from my first trip down to Costa Rica and it was in a word...amazing!  Many life birds and an all around great trip.  I stayed at a lodge in the Pacific foothills near Dominical and spent some time at the coast too.  I found nine warbler species with two, a Buff-rumped Warbler and Gray-crowned Yellowthroat, new to me.  The most abundant warbler by far was the Chestnut-sided Warbler followed by Tennessee Warblers.  Other warblers found in small numbers (or only one) included Black and White, Golden-winged, Wilson's, and Yellow Warblers and Northern Waterthrush.  It was one of my best trips and I cannot wait to go back down there again.

No comments:

Post a Comment